Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Victory Of The Sycamores



The mulberry leaves turn yellow-green,

So pretty and transient

Like duchesses.


The sycamores just cover everything in a utilitarian brown.

See here,

They say.

See here.


Oh I miss you.

Every thought of you peels my heart like an apple,

The pain so sharp that it almost makes me beautiful again,

My skin as white

As winter.


The maples are shockingly heartless,

Draping themselves in such a shameless, compelling, and unforgettable red

Just before they grow bored

And turn to naked bones,

Lovers transformed,

Offering nothing.


Oh I am the Queen Of All Fools,

And yet even I know the supreme idiocy of trying to put the leaves back,

To retrieve June

In immaculate

Perfection--


With the first snow in the air,

The train is at the station.

The duchesses, with all their trunks and hat boxes have boarded.

The bell clangs,

Summer is gone,

And nothing you love is ever coming back.

It is the victory of the sycamores--

See here,

You on the platform in the dusk,

See here.

________

21 comments:

  1. Again and again you pierce my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it all inspiration? Almost too good for there not to be SOME perspiration.

    How perfect! And yesss. Again and again.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so gorgeous and lonely. Truly beautiful, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a gypsy a goddess a sublime poetess a governor of words and ideas... there is a topic every where to relate to you and your writing
    zzzz

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one breaks my heart. It makes me want to say anything is possible! Hold on to the good, throw away the bad and remember, June is no better than December, my b-day month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for my silly joke. Regardless of what my Birth Certificate says, I am feeling twelve years old tonight =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can understand the desire to put the leaves back. but sometimes they fall for a reason. wait for your spring and bask in it when it comes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Careful those leaves make walking slippery

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shay,I want to memorize this poem and walk around the streets reciting it to any one who will listen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this picture of the natural cycle of leaves, compared to the unplanned cycles of the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no idea how you go inside yourself to find this beauty, this tragedy, these amazing words...

    "Every thought of you peels my heart like an apple,


    The pain so sharp that it almost makes me beautiful again,"

    Makes me beautiful again...Wow!

    I could read that over and over and come out with something new everytime...

    Your spirit is indeed imbued with a muse of amazing technique and magick!

    G xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. This just became my favorite poem you've written.

    Standing O!

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. Isn't Shaysie rocking Oakland County?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This breaks my heart with its beauty and its sadness... Your poems are wonderful, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I can't believe I missed this. The photo, the imagery, the heartfelt sadness... yet I sense a bit of longing to go through it all over again.

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never heard it put better than this:

    "Every thought of you peels my heart like an apple,
    The pain so sharp that it almost makes me beautiful again,"

    That? is everything in two lines.

    Bravi Signorina, bravissimi!

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?