Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

School For Minstrels

The minstrel sat in the street, singing love songs--

Lies flew out of his mouth like blackbirds;

A beautiful onyx rain.



When I woke up that morning,

Luxury seemed a birthright.

Far away, tired soldiers marched with bibles, tobacco, and my picture tucked away in their packs

As if I could care.

The sun rose.

I leant in the stone window and ate a peach.



The minstrel roamed the cobblestones, singing songs of glorious battle--

I threw a shoe at him,

But half way down, it grew wings and perched on his shoulder,

White as a lily.



The ghosts that evening strutted like grandees--

Clouds lounged in my bed.

Plotters lurked outside my door,

Shivs hanging from their robes like crosses.



I had the minstrel killed, brought in, and served up as supper--

I picked at my food.

I said, "I want a woman,"

The way one might say, "I want the devil to shine my shoes."

My family paused, mouths stuffed full,

Then threw me out.



Now I sit in the street before dawn, singing love songs--

I don't believe a word of any of them;

I have nothing.

I am scorned by all.

But I wait well into the afternoon for a particular chambermaid I fancy to pass by...



She always carries a single ripe peach in the pocket of her apron.

I must have it,

And despite my lack of faith, and my absurd feckless history,

I am wiser now than I ever was before,

And am quite prepared to humble myself.

Indeed,

I am ready and eager

To beg.

_________

photo: Swati

11 comments:

  1. How's that story go...."My how the might have fallen"

    Turns out, it's not always a bad thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "lies flew out of his mouth like black birds". Yep. Think I know him.

    Gorgeous poem Shay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The ghosts that evening strutted like grandees--

    Clouds lounged in my bed.

    Plotters lurked outside my door,

    Shivs hanging from their robes like crosses." -- wow, Shay, that stanza is packed with power.

    The minstrel school is a tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It IS a tough school. I like the imagination behind the lines "grew wings and perched on his shoulder,

    White as a lily."

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Shivs hanging form their robes..."

    Again with the knives...

    ReplyDelete
  6. sometimes you leave me speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Singing love songs she doesn't believe in. Why does that line stand out for me??

    HOWEVER, the whole thing is a gem, my friend. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am into knives too. Life is a tough school. 'Course depends what neighborhood you live in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, since everyone is picking a favorite:

    "And despite my lack of faith, and my absurd feckless history,

    I am wiser now than I ever was before"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow there are so many lines in this that I could follow down so many roads as a butterfly, but all I can say is really I wish you'd get publishes as now I know you're the best kept secret on the WEB!!!!

    Love you
    g

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?