Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Phaleron


At Cassie's Diner,
the eggs are never over and rarely easy.

Your waitress may be falling in love with you,
or with your husband, or with the hard "R" when you say ,
"I must have left my bag in the car."

She may be in love with you, or
you only think she is.
She may be unavailable, or not even listening as you order. 

Every plate is a surprise
balanced on her arm like row of flat Earths,
the coffees steaming like new planets

And one of them has your name on it.
The napkins open to exactly the right passage,
the one you thought you'd never find,

Written by Athenian scribes in shimmering antiquity.
Aren't you glad you came?
(That was unexpected, yeah?)

Cassie's Diner is conveniently located
at the intersection of Eros and Morpheus,
open 24 hours, accessible by accident, vegan-friendly, 

unpredictable buffet, situated on a slight incline, nice view of the bay.
_______

For Dverse Poetics: "Poetics at the restaurant."

image at top is Charlotte Gainsbourg.




9 comments:

  1. I wish to tell you .... another amazing work of poetry art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...balanced on her arm like a row of flat earths"!!!!!! Just one line blows me away, never mind all the others........as Helen says, amazing. Over the top amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took me there! Especially love~
    'Every plate is a surprise
    balanced on her arm like row of flat Earths,
    the coffees steaming like new planets'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this so much. This surreal place with the buffet on an incline and that server who may or may not be so many things. Like others my favorite stanza
    Every plate is a surprise
    balanced on her arm like row of flat Earths,
    the coffees steaming like new planets

    Thank you for writing to the prompt! 💙

    ReplyDelete
  5. "at the intersection of Eros and Morpheus" just blew me away.
    Besides of course the lines mentioned by others.

    Punam

    ReplyDelete
  6. well i'll order a slice of that, and some coffee, and lots of creamer (i don't drink creamer, i just like to build pyramids with the little containers) and how much to rent this window booth for the rest of my life?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to stumble across this diner, find a corner and observe for a week because once I leave I know I will never be able to find it again, but will always be looking. At least I can re-read your poem about it over and over. What makes it so captivating is that it reads as a unique point of origin for untold other poetic stories. I want to learn
    them all. I hope you will tell us some more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shay,

    I increasingly loved this poem with every stanza I read!

    Much love,
    David

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?