Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Lessons Learned In Childhood

 



My mother called mahjong pieces "Chinese tiles." 
They were a pretty mystery to me.
A symbol can be like a mute with something to say;
its tongue tied by one's own ignorance.

Gingerbread men have commonalities with real ones.
They can be sweet, or fragile,
and (some of them) smell good and draw me in.
Sometimes there is another one after this one; sometimes not.

At thirteen I was prescribed eyeglasses.
Astigmatism made everything unclear but luminous,
sending blurs of light out from their centers.
You are still unclear to me. You still send out light from your center.

A finger's width is the difference between the next stair
and a broken leg. Catch your heel
and life takes on a whole new itinerary.
There are springes everywhere, so my mother said as she laid more for me.

I couldn't trust my mother, and she taught me
not to trust myself either.
I was in love with the neighbor's purple peonies, so brief and lovely.
I am both fox and hen, and don't know how to love you.

You are Chinese tiles. I am mute. I'm sorry, and can't explain why.
________





springes = traps

Music: Steve Nicks "Talk To Me"




6 comments:

  1. I love everything about this poem. The whole journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh this is wonderful and amazing writing. It's power is in it's boldness to approach truth with a divine cutting edge. "A symbol can be like a mute with something to say; its tongue tied by one's own ignorance." I think I need to write this down and hang it where I can read it daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Shay I don't know how you do it! This poem is vast like an ocean of the kind of wisdom one can only learn from the most painful hurts. I love the magnificent metaphors and the way you make us feel and sense the loss without completely spelling it out. I also love the way you circled back around to that deep truth and symbol of the Chinese tiles. You both amaze me to awe and inspire me my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, the ending especially:

    "I was in love with the neighbor's purple peonies, so brief and lovely.
    I am both fox and hen, and don't know how to love you.

    You are Chinese tiles. I am mute. I'm sorry, and can't explain why."

    There is something so innocent and disarming about this write, with a wisdom underscoring it all. Your poems are always bulging with wisdom. That's right, I said bulging :-D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Shay,
    Magical, the way you make memory and symbol, ignorance and knowledge, pain and poetry mix into "peony" beauty, fragile and strong.
    ~Dora

    ReplyDelete
  6. You play mahjong with the images, lining up the symbols and the uncertainty of their and your own life's meaning. How we are mute and on the other side of each other's language and meaning. And this: "I am both fox and hen, and don't know how to love you." Our fate to be both, and neither, and mute.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?