Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, March 14, 2023

First Love

 Hey, old girl,
I can't bear it, you know,
to go back.

You're gone anyway.
How can that be?
How could you hold my whole heart for years
and then be gone from the world?

I remember the green! 
The bright lawn in the sun, and the dark green
you wore, the color of forests, and later, Great Lakes blue.
I remember the cloud of rising cigarette smoke
in the warm evenings. 

There were fights sometimes,
even the odd drunk falling down.
It didn't matter.
What I remember best is the heartbeat excitement
of seeing you there.

I recall a rainy Sunday in autumn,
you wearing red, white and blue as if it were July.
Everyone we both knew was always there,
dressed in white like heroes. 
I loved you madly from the moment I met you.

No matter where I traveled,
I always came back to you, my comfort, my heart,
the one beloved constant 
in the uncertain confusion of my childhood, my youth, my middle age. 
Sometimes, still, I dream we are together.

Hey, old girl. 
The one word I can never say to you is "goodbye."
You were my sanctuary and so I ring the bells for you,
shout once more for the home team,
recall the steep aisles, the vendors, the big scoreboard
of Tiger Stadium, the love of my young life,
________




for Dverse poetry of place and space, hosted by Ingrid. 

Music: Frank Sinatra There Used To Be A Ballpark 







14 comments:

  1. Ah, space and place echooing through time and love. Kept me guessing... still guessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, of course ...... take me out to the ballgame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you made the place a person... I never grew up with baseball so to me it is a mystery, but I can understand the exitement of everyone coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ode to a venerable ball park Shay — batter up! 🐯🙂✌🏼

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a personal journey to one's home and heart- thank you. I was specially moved this part, because I can also relate to it:
    No matter where I traveled,
    I always came back to you, my comfort, my heart,
    the one beloved constant

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful heartfelt poem of love that will not die!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is excellent and totally relatable, Shay! Love it 😁

    Sincerely,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. "How could you hold my whole heart for years
    and then be gone from the world?" - I really felt these lines <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful poem about the undying nature of beauty and love--reminded me of some shakespeare's sonnets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got tears in my eyes as I read this, Shay - some loves live forever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pangs of first love so palpable !

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! You had me there. I was wondering where this was going, such a tender ode! First love indeed. Batter up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely STUNNING in every sense of the word, Shay! I especially admire; "No matter where I traveled, I always came back to you, my comfort, my heart." ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?