Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Friday, March 10, 2023

Your Only Love

 

A priest arrived by ambulance
to bless our sudden kiss

A doctor brought his bag but cannot
treat such things as this

My jewelry is just colored rocks
like pretty polished hollyhocks
in silver settings gone to curls
the same as any other girl's

but I could be your only love.

A flautist played our melody
in notes so fine and clear

That summer brought her midnights close
so that the moon could hear

the notes, the song so marvelous
the player played so long for us
the priest laid down his holy flask
the doctor blushed before he asked

if I could be your only love.

An urchin took a photograph
of you in uniform

You gave me spice and chocolates
to keep my fever warm

and lucky is the lucky bird
who calls without a word
In the peculiar pregnant dawn
his curious constant song

that I could be your only love.
________


Music: Denise King Stuck On You







6 comments:

  1. I'm just savouring the rhythms and flow in this .... I undulate .... and I just love the lines "you gave me spice and chocolates/ to keep my fever warm" ..... absolutely so well placed; poetic sumptuousness here - please, just let me enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. Completely gorgeous and satisfying. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rhythm and the song of this and the use of repetition is brilliant. It really is musical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful rhythm in this lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just fantastic, Shay, a pleasure to read. Effortless rhyme and storytelling :-) I love these lines particularly:

    "My jewelry is just colored rocks
    like pretty polished hollyhocks"

    "A flautist played our melody
    in notes so fine and clear

    That summer brought her midnights close
    so that the moon could hear"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. I love the priest and the doctor, and the way this stays unexpected yet has that rhyming echo that keeps us in love poems.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?