Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

I'll Wipe That Enigmatic Half Smile Right Off Your Face, Chica

 

Mona Lisa and I sit at my kitchen table, sharing croissants.
(I have no kitchen table.)
I'm about sick of her stupid smile.
(Mona Lisa isn't even here.)
My dog wanders up and asks if there'll be anything else.
(My dog can't talk.)
I slip a revolver out from my skirts and lay it on the table.
(I'm wearing sleep pants. I own no guns.)
Sorry, says Mona Lisa. She says that all day long.
(Paintings don't speak.) 
I blow her brains out.
(She has no brains. That's why she's annoying.)
I clean up, then marry my dog.
(You can't marry a dog.) 
I whisper in his ear that the gun was unloaded.
(There was no gun, no Mona Lisa, no table.)
I hope you enjoyed this poem.
(Poem?)
______


Music: Donovan There Is a Mountain




7 comments:

  1. LOL. I enjoyed the doing and undoing greatly. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you did. Wipe the smile off her face, chica. 😂 But that's only my opinion. (Don't say it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Poem, I could never write in this style, totally captivating . Excellent

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the joy this poem(poem?? poem!) takes in its contradictions, and the way it seems playful and pert but is actually industriously frolicking around a maypole topped by a skull, with a sinister smile and plenty of bullets. I think you capture the feeling of both sets of text in your chosen source--innocent/cynical, lighthearted/brutal--and that's a lot harder than this breakfast of blueberry pancakes with a sip of cyanide makes it look. Loved this, and loved the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this poem! Kudos for originality, humor and, yes, for wiping that stupid smile off Mona's face!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The device of assertion (denial) is terrific. Creates a tension and fascination of "where's this going next!" I'm sure there are many who want to wipe that smile off, and a non-revolver and non-talking espousal pup is perfect for the job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the most brilliant fun poem I have read in a long time Shay! The ending is priceless!!

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?