Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Anna

 

We had this woman at Dalldorf, claiming to be
the Russian Grand Duchess Anastasia
plucked Deus ex machina from the bullets and blood of some cellar smack dab in the snowy far reaches of Nothing Good. 

We did  hydrotherapy there, but she'd gotten a head start,
either jumping or about to jump off of some bridge into the Landwehrkanal
as if she were Girl Rasputin, Queen of the Waves. 
She did this in springtime, holding a pink tulip and a volume of Pushkin.

Mornings, I'd bring her a bowl of oatmeal and my scorn,
setting it down hard on the tray, sounding like the crack of a rifle.
Anna Anderson, do try to eat some (I'd say), like the nonsense you spoon out
as ammunition for the Great Cannon of Bullshit for the credulous.

Dalldorf Asylum is gone now, and my job with it, dragging incontinents
to the toilet and fakers to the street outside when the administrators were 
otherwise occupied filing reports or fucking the mute up on seven. 
At night I used to tell her my suspicions about Anna, and cures, and treatments.

Now I am old, and Anna Anderson is gone, proven by modern techniques
to have simply been a loon and a manipulator. I go to her grave and
plunge a Russian Orthodox cross into the earth right where her heart should be,
but never was. Madness and murder were everywhere then. Anna used

crayons to draw those poor dead Romanovs, while there she sat, well fed,
celebrated, alive in the sun room, like a cat or a cockroach, immortal.
_________

for What's Going On? -- Character(s) In Action

Don't forget that this week's Word List is still "live" through Sunday. 

Music: Cafe Accordion Orchestra Ochi Chyornya




13 comments:

  1. " Madness and murder were everywhere then." And captured well in this poem! Anna's action and the speaker's action come forth through the voice of the speaker/"caretaker." I adore all the allusions, the scorn of the speaker for one who thrives on the lives of others, and the cockroaches or cat line. Perfect madness. Thank you, too for Ochi Chyornya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you tell a tale, it is memorable. I am always intrigued by the inferences that somehow Anastasia survived the massacre, though it seems unlikely. You have described the asylum so well, so bleak. Love the oatmeal set down hard on the tray. And the cross plunged down into the earth where her heart should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the speaker’s voice, Shay, and the conversational style of your poem, and not least the hints of history. You captured the attitude and the madness of the situation well, especially in these lines:
    ‘We did hydrotherapy there, but she'd gotten a head start,
    either jumping or about to jump off of some bridge into the Landwehrkanal
    as if she were Girl Rasputin, Queen of the Waves’
    and
    ‘Mornings, I'd bring her a bowl of oatmeal and my scorn,
    setting it down hard on the tray, sounding like the crack of a rifle.’

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great tale told with flair! Loved all of the references and allusions, and the " Great Cannon of Bullshit" made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. And "Ochi Chyornya" would be wonderful background music for a reading of your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've portrayed Anna's character so vividly. I love the speaker's voice as well. So many memorable lines here, specially this one : She did this in springtime, holding a pink tulip and a volume of Pushkin. Aw...I could see her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A tense look back at a place filled with fear, death and madness. For anyone to have survived to tell the tale was a miracle...I felt the fear spring from each line of your poem...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness Shay.... first AK and now you! Be still my heart - you my dear are simply a magnificent artist and this piece is absolutely stunning! literally breath-taking! Bravo - I bow to you

    ReplyDelete
  9. great work - what is truth and what is fiction - we live in a world where our concept of truth is continually challenged and you have captured this in your vivid poem. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see her holding that pink tulip and volume of Pushkin. I see you trying to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vivid storytelling and as always, a swirl of emotional dark waters and scintillating description. If this were on my blog, it would carry my tag "hope in the madhouse,"not that I could ever write it. The narrator pulls herself through, but at what cost?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Damn! OK. Anything but the firing squad in Yekaterinburg. I always thought it was out in the garden, but just looked it up and it was in the basement. Gawd. For some reason that seems, what, tawdry? Like in the basement?? Good that you provided some salvation in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An incredible tale told vividly well. Darkly beautiful characters with an undertone of menace. The image in the couplet at the end completes it so well.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?