Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Hostas



It is late July, and the time of the summer for hosta flowers.

They seem to be everywhere, their reach exceeding their grasp as their thin stalks hang across the walks

Like the arms of street urchins, too close and too many.


The plants themselves are overfed guests, spreading out like sultans--

What can one say to such as the hostas,

Presumptuous fillers of high summer?


I prefer the black-eyed susans, with their weedy bodies, keeping to the edges and corners

Like girls not asked to dance,

And yet their yellow faces fill me with an easy joy.

If I could, I would sit with them, right there in somebody's garden.

We would wave in whatever breeze there was,

Reminding July that there will be Autumn,

And snarking to the hateful hostas

That their mother

Dresses them

Funny.

_______

11 comments:

  1. This is just gorgeous! I have hostas lining my walk, but Baby Puppy plucks all the blooms and pulls the big leaves to use as pretend butterfly wings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could get something to grow..*sigh*

    ps don't be such a hosta hater

    ReplyDelete
  3. This speaks to me on so many levels. I think it's a metaphor for good and bad. Am I right, or did I add my own little Pouty touch?

    On the way to our cabin there is a highway that has black-eyed Susan's up and down the sides of the road for miles. I don't know how they got there, but they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black eyes susans are my favorite, too. I've missed them this year so I planted some and the stpid landlord's sign crushed their little bodies.

    But fear not! That just means they'll spread. They always make me feel sunny, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can just write very well about everything, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only ones I ever tried to grow in my garden, were demolished by hungry slugs long before they could flower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'their mother dresses them funny'???? you're a hoot. this is lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hostas ... everyone seems to have them in their gardens .. a friendly shrub .. a lovely rhyme

    ReplyDelete
  9. There will be autumn, you say?? Thank God...I can't wait for the next two months to pass!

    Beautiful poetry and visuals...especially of you waving among the black-eyed susans. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha the image to sit and ponder the life of a flower, a plant...how pleasant, really. Absoultely clever read.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?