Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, July 6, 2009

Occupation:

There is no picture this time because there is no better picture for this poem than the one that partially inspired the poem. It can be found at the very stylish Daryl's blog.

If someone had asked me last week
"Who are you? What do you do?"
I'd have answered both by saying,
"I am a poet,"
And given a playful rustle of my succubus-tinged angel wings.

The world seemed a soft place
Like a loaf of bread
Or a still-warm bed.

But this week,
I am setting all the poems on fire.
I can drop them from my window
One by one like dying stars.

Below, there is a wrought iron gate,
Similarly solid stairs,
A cinder block wall,
And some sort of gravel courtyard.

Poetry,
Even if it is burning,
Will not phase them.

If anyone asks me this week
"Who are you? What do you do?"
I will say,
"I am nobody.
I deliver the mail."
__________

10 comments:

  1. that's harsh. but totally understandable. i'm in a lighting my words on fire kinda mood today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know much, but I do know that you are definitely a poet.

    (Whatever they pay you to do.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are somebody to me no matter what you do or who you think you are

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evocative verse here. I sometimes think that we do have more than one identity, though, out of necessity. Some days, it's not always the one we want, but as long as the other is there, somewhere ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ((((((((((((Blossom))))))))))))

    No - not fire. Your poetry should go in a beautiful, leather bound book. It brings me joy. It makes me sad. It makes me FEEL.

    Feelings are sometimes so painful, but remember that without them we are nothing. And I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Who are you" and "what do you do" are different questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's up darling? You are definitely a poet...and I love you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the kind words over at my place! I've read a few of your poems now and I definitely like them. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still waiting on your book, Chica. You are more than a job or a hobby. You're an artist and an entertainer, and a woman of mystery.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?