Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Jocelyn's House

Jocelyn's house...

It's pretty, yeah?

At her party last year, there were trays of everything, wheels of cheese,

And her husband, the charming guy with the battered hands

Who could play guitar same as he could build an addition

And who sang "Wicked Game" so beautifully that we all just stood there and stared,

Dumbfounded,

All of us, even me, half in love with him.



I didn't know then,

That you had already slept with Mikey, the local stone butch.

I didn't know then, that she was "helping" you in ways I never imagined,

I just thought she was cold, and unengaging, when I tried to get to know her on your account.

Always the last to know,

That's me,

The stupid Bo Peep whose flock is butchered, consumed and made into seat covers before I even miss them.



That's Jocelyn's house,

With the bird feeders.

I bet she fills them with poison just to stand there alone and watch them drop,

And I don't blame her.

It was you who famously loved anything that flew, and what I want to know is,

Are you straight now?

Publicly, unimpeachably straight, not to mention relentlessly sober, and all the rest of that shit?

I wonder if, as he sang "Wicked Game", he had the first notion that he was to be your

Lab rat,

Your livin' proof,

Your ticket back to a place where snarky bitches don't laugh at you from behind their hands?



I don't see you around anymore, though,

So maybe it all just blew up in your face.

I see him, walking alone, and he won't talk to me, just keeps on going.

I loved you, and I think he did too...

Now we both know how stupid that was.

If I could ask you one thing,

In the pointless too-late of it all,

I would ask you this:



Looking out of Jocelyn's windows that night, did it never sink in for you that the scene is the same through any shape of glass,

Or that when darkness devours the world, it may as well be gone,

And all you will see,

No matter how hard you stare out,

Is yourself?

________

for Willow's magpie 29

________

44 comments:

  1. If this is about who I think it's about, wouldn't it be simpler to boil her in oil? :) (I stole that from Fawlty Towers.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Fireblossom...this is heavy, it flowed hot...she is one Wicked Woman...do not want to live next to her or even in the same town....bkm

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could be she is merely confused and mistakes sex for love.

    Or maybe she's just a B word lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, boy! Or is that Oh, girl! Or I'll change that to Oh, Shay - there's a lot of passion and pain wrapped up in this.

    "In the pointless too-late of it all,..." I loved this because pointless or not, we want them to answer even as we know they haven't got any answers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! So much anguish in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m shocked.

    All the best, Boonie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading Shay, just not commenting much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "the scene is the same through any shape of glass"

    These words make you think hard and long about the lines above them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. If this is about who I think it is, I would ask her this:

    "Why were you such a fickle, lying bitch?" or what RK said.

    Beautifully written though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omgosh if this partly true, yes boil her in oil!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had not intended a submission this time, but your extended contribution here sparked an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shay I love the way you can take your own angle on a prompt...intense piece, wonderful writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice writing!

    Loved "Looking out of Jocelyn's windows that night, did it never sink in for you that the scene is the same through any shape of glass,

    Or that when darkness devours the world, it may as well be gone,

    And all you will see,

    No matter how hard you stare out,

    Is yourself?"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, gosh, I love the BoPeep bit, and the bird feeder poison. Lots of brilliant angst here. FireBlossom? Nah, you should be FireCracker.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wickedly brilliant and so obviously true. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am hearing the twang of that guitar and Lyle singing that song ... boil the biach in oil .. no wait .. just ignore her, her kind revel in attention

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's better!
    I love a bit of wickedness and spite. Saccharine doesn't do it for me.
    I'll have to keep an eye out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. dang shay...out of the park...or at least out of the house...that sly cat...but as beautiful as the house is she found a way to paint it in shadow...tight piece.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is this house week???

    Even the birds are catching it in this one.

    Nice Shay

    moonie smiles

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahh, no matter how it looks from the outside, we can never know what it is like inside, unless we live there. Wonderful piece, full of vivid imagery and a roller coast ride of emotions,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - that last line got me. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Powerful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. There are too many fine lines to re-play here. A truly wonderful piece of broken-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a horrible wicked woman--so much pain and sadness.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  25. Had to read this one twice. And I suspect I'll read it again. And again.

    "Looking out of Jocelyn's windows that night, did it never sink in for you that the scene is the same through any shape of glass,

    Or that when darkness devours the world, it may as well be gone,

    And all you will see,

    No matter how hard you stare out,

    Is yourself?
    "

    That gave me chills girl! And I know any number of people who could be the She Who Shall Not Be Named in this one.

    Possibly some of your best work ever, Shay.

    *applause*

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is one my faves of yours. The voice is so vivid, I can really hear it. And I love how it tells a story. I feel like I want to know more. *sigh* guess that's why I don't read much poetry. I always want more!

    ReplyDelete
  27. If this wasn't so beautifully, perfectly written, I would just say what Riot Kitty said and offer to bring the Crisco.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so raw and honest that I am at a loss for other words. I am just taking it all in...

    Strikes me as interesting that we both keyed in on the idea of possible poison in the birdfeeder. If that means that my mind in any sort of way works like yours then I am honored!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very powerful, well written I loved it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  30. thats one powerful peice of poetry with one heck of a bitch written in! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. loved the raw anger behind this...the type of basic emotion that always makes good reading...

    here's my magpie

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow is this to be continued? I would love to keep reading this, maybe part 2??

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very powerful. and full of truth,pain,anguish.. Wonderful piece... Loved the ending

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really like the style here. Draws the reader right in.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The words just tumbled
    Nice phrases here

    ReplyDelete
  36. this was fantastic from beginning to end. Captured me...I loved the emotions that your words stirred...

    ReplyDelete
  37. All I can say at this point is .....
    Oooooooooooo ~ wonderful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Absolutely awesome. I love the venom, the powerful imagery, the little tinge of regret and sadness. Extremely good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. your poetry is always amazing, Shay, but the words in this poem are raw and red with the blood of a broken heart. painfully brilliant!
    dani ♥

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?