Friday, January 7, 2011

Life Story



Lightning struck the tree--

Mama blamed me,

But she couldn't find my trialsome ass

Cos one block of blackened wood looks much like the next.

So, I slipped the strike in my pocket

And took up smoking,

Kissed the girl next door--

She was older,

Invited me in,

Shut the door,

And I grew up like a gypsy in her jewelry box--

Hers and a dozen others more.



Years later, another light came out of Heaven,

And I sobered up--

Quit cursing during grace,

Or wearing fishnets on the church steps;

Tried the straight and narrow ways

For a while,

Crocodile.



Now I live in a bower made of books;

I whisk words with the places I've been and haven't been--

I spend my days out on the porch,

And after dark, I'm in.

I kiss my finger when I've cut it on a page-edge;

My dog sticks close to home.

The old strike is still there,

Kept between my writing chair

And the window where I watch the dandelion seeds

And river reeds.

My remaining life lies just beyond,

It might be wise or unwise,

But what it so certainly is,

Is exquisitely,

Deliciously,

My own.

_________

13 comments:

Cori Lynn Berg said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! Whatever you do, wherever you go, it is yours!

Eric 'Bubba' Alder said...

Wonderful affirmation, Shay! It does my heart good to see someone embrace life so wholeheartedly - it shows me there's still hope for the world, even if it's just one person at a time.

Mama Zen said...

"Trialsome ass." Snicker.

Lulú said...

Delicious!

hedgewitch said...

Some perfect lines here--just perfect--this one reads like eating Ghiradelli chocolate, dark and sweet and rich. (yeah, I'm dieting, and I admit I may be biased about chocolate being better than money or eternal life, but still...)

This is my favorite: "Now I live in a bower made of books;/I whisk words with the places I've been and haven't been--" Keep on cooking, woman.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this one so much, most especially the ending - yes, it is your own, and after all the heartbreak, isnt it wonderful to arrive at that place in our lives? Keep on cooking, indeed. Fabulous from-the-heart-of-Shay poem.

Lisa said...

But what it so certainly is,

Is exquisitely,

Deliciously,

My own.


You couldn't know how much I needed to read this today.

mac said...

Dammit girl, this is beautiful :-)

Cloudia said...

first to lines say it all.

"Bower of Books"

My Kinda Gal, Pal




Aloha from Hawaii

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


<°)}}><

faye said...

Very nice indeed.. another keeper.

Josh said...

Speechless. Thank you. Intuitively flowing words.

TALON said...

"Is exquisitely,
Deliciously,
My own." -- what more could a soul ask for than to honor the whole of who we are.

Beautiful, Shay.

Lynn said...

Love that ending - and so true. It's yours for the asking.