Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book Review: "The Lion Is In"

The Lion is InThe Lion is In by Delia Ephron

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


What do you get when you throw together a runaway bride, a five-months-sober hottie, a drab minister's wife and a retired circus lion? You get "The Lion Is In" by Delia Ephron. Tracee is a kleptomaniac who goes to a Baltimore Orioles game with her cheating boyfriend, and is sure he is going to propose to her on the Jumbotron, but instead, he goes to get a hot dog and never comes back, breaking up with her by text message. What's a girl to do except run out of the bridal shop with her now unnecessary--and unpaid for--bridal gown, and into the driver's seat of her best friend's Mustang?

The two friends high tail it south into North Carolina where they have a flat tire which neither of them really knows how to fix. A mousey woman who has just left her overbearing minister husband for the third time ("Who cares what YOU think?" he likes to ask her when she expresses an opinion), comes walking down the road and helps them fix it and all three head further on. However, Tracee falls asleep at the wheel and they end up crashed in a ditch outside The Lion tavern, a ridiculous makeshift building which, in fact, has a real live lion in a cage as an attraction.

Can they find love, sobriety and a sense of self in tiny Fairfield, North Carolina? Does a tired ex-circus lion named Marcel just need a little TLC and a scratching post? Is he a guru and a higher power, or just big lug with a stinky mane? Find out by reading "The Lion Is In", an easy, entertaining novel by the author of "The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants." I loved it.



View all my reviews

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a glowing review. Is she a relative of Nora? If so, she can't HELP but be talented...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delia Ephron is Nora Ephron's sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't suppose there are any hoop skirts? No? Well, you make it sound fun anyway. I saw that 'Traveling Pants' book last time I was browsing Amazon--it looked entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Review !
    Sound like a good chick lit book : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, this review has me intrigued. Adding it to my list of future reads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering about that Ephron connection until I read your comment. Good, a new book with sobriety in the mix. I'm in the mood for something like this. Great review, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely gonna have to get that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds like lots of fun. I didn't know about the Ephron connections and so, thanks for sharing that.

    As I liked the "The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants," I'm sure I'll enjoy this one.

    Thanks for the review:~)

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?