Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Book Review: "The Midwife's Confession"

The Midwife's ConfessionThe Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Diane Chamberlain's books kept coming up in my recommendations at Goodreads, so I finally caved and bought this one. I'm glad I did. It's the story of three women friends, and also of the daughters of two of them. The odd woman out, the only one unmarried and childless, is Noelle, who is the midwife of the title. Her unexpected suicide, and all the secrets that come to light as a result, will send shock waves through the lives of the other four.

This novel explores friendships, mother-daughter connections, and the tricky territory of what secrets can do. Although I thought the writing got a little wooden for a brief while in the middle of the book, it gained traction again and I couldn't read the last 100+ pages fast enough to find out what would happen. The characters were varied and believable, and I cared about them all. If you like Jodi Picoult or Kristin Hannah, you'll like this book as much as I did.



View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds good. I'll put it on my wish list!

    Hope you have a great day, Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! :-) I really like these kind of books. Need to read this!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?