Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, March 21, 2022

Waiting For April

 When I was seventeen, I set out oranges 
for turkey vultures on the glass top of a table 
with pastel yellow legs, in summer.
I said I did it because death is sweet.

Don't ever lie. Mutism is one way
to stay honest, but turning one's tongue
to a violin is another. Many early saints
were buskers, though they died stoic, silent.

What I'm trying to say is, it might snow in Falstaff
while it's 90 in Phoenix.  You might look for robins
and find peacocks, with their weird piercing call
that makes you feel suddenly faint and homesick.

I've grown slow and stiff, my hair is white
from a blizzard of mistakes and sorrows.
Surviving from March to May seems as sweet
to me as your kiss once did, but I'm cautious now,

Not like I was when you knew me, not such a fool.
I keep a .45 laid on the leather of my bible 
to test for truth, so think before you speak
because my ears are dull and dead, but I read lips.
_________




7 comments:

  1. “my hair is white
    from a blizzard of mistakes and sorrows“

    I love that so much.

    I know you disagree with me, but I think that alone is enough for a poem.

    Beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those poems that(to me anyway)pretends to be simple narrative, but is actually a dreamscape of moods and feelings set out in symbols and metaphors, clarified in the fire of explicit language. In other words, you make a statement, but it morphs out of that cocoon into an exquisite image that flies like a stiletto into the reader's eye and mind. Your theme of honesty, age and death is timeless, and the last three lines hit hard. I could quote so much more, but I restrain myself to:"You might look for robins/and find peacocks, with their weird piercing call/that makes you feel suddenly faint and homesick.." A dream of a write, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too many wonderful lines to quote. A superb write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh God, there's so many good lines here, Shay, I have no idea what to quote first. I love the candid bluntness of this narrative, the wisdom, the keen observations, the edge of cool. I love the whole of the second stanza and the line:

    "Mutism is one way to stay honest"

    and then the whole thing about a peacocks' call really hit home.

    The last two stanzas culminate in this wonderful warning and that killer last line "I read lips."

    Excellent, Shay <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Mutism is one way / to stay honest, but turning one's tongue / to a violin is another" - Ohhhhh. That is so good. And yes, we look for one thing but find another that unexpectedly strikes home and homesick. The .45 on the Bible to speak truth. Keep it honest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi shay!

    "Many early saints
    were buskers, though they died stoic, silent."

    really liked that line. love the casual tone, mixed with the more colorful descriptions. i have missed so many of these, glad to see it still going, i won't miss the next one. enjoyed the read shay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you! The word list will be moving over to The Sunday Muse and appearing monthly, every third weekend of the month. It just wasn't getting the traffic compared the work that went into it.

      Delete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?