Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Lilacs And Ashes

 

  1. ‘The studio was filled with the rich odour of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn.’- Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Dent Dutton, 1955



I brought you lilacs and ashes
wrapped in paper milled from early mornings and blind starlings.
On the paper were written a million words
that when translated sickened and when spoken disappeared.

I touched you and grew old but was reborn in the lilacs.
You gave me caramels and sickrooms,
wide verandas where ghosts sang madrigals with sisters of the moon.
You gave me the world's most beautiful door but kept the key.

Your skin was sweet on my tongue, but my tongue became a road to nowhere.
In the ditches there were lilacs, on the hillsides, marigolds.
I wrote you a million poems and grew leaner with each stanza.
You said, "Come in! Come in!" from a dark hall that narrowed into nothing. 

Such was our love. Such was the starling with its injuries,
hiding in the lilac ditch. Such was the silent book,
the radiant rose, the bright marigolds on the coffin of time.
The moon makes me remember and I cannot forgive
its ruined face
so pale
so luminous
so sorrowful
like a Japanese lantern at the canceled wedding of joy and misery.
_________

for Dverse Poetics, hosted by Linda Lyberg. 

12 comments:

  1. 'I touched you and grew old but was reborn in the lilacs'. So many incredible lines but this one drew blood. And that ending- Amazing Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shay.....a reading of this poem includes a full minute of silent recovery..indeed, there is a pause after each line for the gasp, sometimes in delight, at other times to dodge the next punch...what a first stanza, of course it continues to that final flourish...brilliant...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exquisite. Every new thing you write becomes the most beautiful poem ever written. From the title to the last word, I was gasping for air, my lungs rendered useless.

    The idea of being reborn in lilacs ... being fed caramels and sickrooms ... the moon’s ruined face ... and the closing simile are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem is incomparable, one of your best, and that is saying something. Wow. Spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautifully written. Your imagery is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always in awe of your use of such descriptive language within your poems. This one is no exception Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is glorious--too many beautiful lines to pick out. Such vivid and unique images!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is such a wash of sorrow in this, yet it has its gleaming facets which almost blind in their brilliance. As always you capture images never even conceived before in your metaphors and similes--lines too numerous to count here blew my mind. Your next book is going to be thick as an encyclopedia with these leaves of what I can only call mysterious genius. I also feel a certain flavor of Lorca here, but it is just the seasoning to your own sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The contrasts and opposites in this shows that passion and pain are always walking hand in hand... so many images that really tells the story of futility... the door without a key especially worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tone reminds me of Carol Ann Duffy's Valentine

      https://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poem/valentine/

      Delete
  10. 'You said, "Come in! Come in!" from a dark hall that narrowed into nothing.' This has the emotional gravity of a black hole.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?