Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, June 3, 2024

Breviary

 

If you won't put wildflowers in my hand
don't leave them on my grave
I'll have the haunted hillside there
with oaks for palisades
around my bones and all my silent
reveries around
my life of soap and wax and flesh
I've left without a sound.

If you can't think me beautiful
like pennies on a sill
that catch the sunrise slanted light
which wakes the whippoorwill
or liken me to harbor water 
at the set of sun
then please don't give me tepid words
you'd say to anyone. 

If you need a holy man
with Latin on his tongue
to spin a mothball rosary
to tell you where I've gone
just leave me here the time of year
when winter's hardening
I'll curl myself in a berry husk
to rise in rainy spring. 

________




for Word Garden Word List--Madeleine's Ghost.



10 comments:

  1. Oh, this is wonderful. "I'll have the haunted hillside there with oaks for palisades"......and the pennies on the sill, catching the sunlight. Gorgeous. I have been trying to save for three years now to pay for a burial plot outside the village here, where I want to end up. But my kids keep needing help, so no plot yet and none in sight. If I am not laid to rest there, I will be haunting people. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't give me tepid words - Love this and this so sums up your poem . Unique as always - and it really is excellent .

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sense of searching for a salvation more tied to heart than the spirit illuminates this beautifully executed dance in rhyme and meter. It reminds me of the old bluegrass tune, Give Me My Flowers While I'm Living, full of both pathos and hardscrabble plain truth. A poem haunting as a forgotten melody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful. I especially liked the beginning lines:
    I"f you won't put wildflowers in my hand
    don't leave them on my grave"
    So very true - all of the flowers in the world will mean nothing to the deceased who would have appreciated kindness while they were alive! And indeed, forget those tepid words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, this is beautiful. The rhythmic structure and your theme are a perfect blend. It all balances so well, especially for me, since your opening and closing lines are my favorites in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the mythical feeling in this tale, and especially the image of pennies shining in slanted sunlight 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a flair for allusive imagery you have, Shay, especially in the second stanza where you evoke an ethereal beauty compared to which anything less would be "tepid words" indeed. The lyrical voice is direct and yet wistful, playing on our hearts with a tender yearning. So lovely, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So creative. I love the 'pennies shining in slanted sunlight', and the first two lines are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you began each stanza with 'words of caution; 'if you won't, can't, need'. And 'my life of soap and wax and flesh' reminded me of the 'rumors' of Nazis producing soap from the bodies of concentration camp inmates.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect. You walk with Wordsworth, Keats, and the greats there.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?