Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Thursday, June 13, 2024

Gray Cat In the Paperbacks

 

At the most unexpected time
on the most unlikely of days
I met someone who couldn't stay, 
and yet stayed forever.

I wasn't then who I am now
which is both a good and a sad thing.
I didn't really love the one who gave me a ring
but meant well by them.

No poetry, on paper or in my heart
but I had one regret and so made a wish
to know the real thing with someone, only that and only this.
I knew the weight of asking.

I had asked to know peaceful days
before I grew old, and was given them.
I asked for sobriety and the craving was gone as if it had never been.
Still, out of the blue, out of left field...

I saw green eyes and they saw mine
just walking by at the end of an ordinary day.
Imagine someone feeling the same way; hit by lightning, swept away
from the next morning, for one glorious day.

Would you believe in a love at first sight?
Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time.
Two people utterly bowled over--one day to remember forever--mine.
Talk about the luck of the Irish.

Would I walk away from it again?
Would I be so rulebound? Was I right to head back home?
It doesn't matter now. I'm okay the rest of the way alone. 
I have that day, and the card you sent

to keep and remember what an answered prayer meant.
_________


(Blogger isn't letting me do links normally, lately.) 

Image at top is the card mentioned in the poem. I've kept it for 27 years. The gray cat is because I told them about a poem I had read in which a gray cat is a symbol for randomness and kismet. The poem was "untitled" by Carl Rickert. I would link to it but have never found it anywhere except in the magazine where I first read it. 

Music: Holly Cole I've Just Seen A Face  (If the Beatles object to me quoting Help From My Friends in this poem, I place myself at their mercy. I'd kill me if I were them!)







11 comments:

  1. I love this so much, and resonate with it completely. I, too, have been okay therest of the way alone. A wonderful poem that speaks right to the heart of life and love. An answered prayer is no small thing, even if it stays briefly - and forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Two people utterly bowled over--one day to remember forever--mine."
    Golly! This is quite a moving story, done up like a song. It made me sad and happy--an answered prayer, a brief encounter, and a memory forever. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it any wonder that "Brief Encounter" is one of my all-time favorite movies?

      Delete
  3. "I have that day, and the card you sent

    to keep and remember what an answered prayer meant.'....A life is well lived for such treasures, beauty and a forever moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is a long and grueling journey through a merciless desert, for the most part, except for the sweet sight of an oasis from time to time, a moment of propinquity and utterly unexpected joy. You capture that perfectly here, Shay. A lovely and moving poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really a wonderful poem telling a tale of love that lasted for a brief time but stayed with you for a lifetime! A memory to relive again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhhh Shay ... how beautiful each and every line.. cannot possible pluck a favorite without disturbing the gorgeous flow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here you go again, Queen of Soul Poetry, hitting all the right notes in all the right ways. Life is a complicated journey and you write it perfectly here with your expert touch. (How many names will I come up for you, QSP? We shall have to wait and see ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really beautiful, Shay. True romance is often not a forever thing, and I agree that love at first sight - or certainly at first meeting - happens often. The 4th stanza is comforting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful Shay. We can tear ourselves up with "what if", but the beauty of treasuring a moment that stays a lifetime is a gift. It is wonderful energy to keep us going. This poem brought tears and smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How easily you can play on our heartstrings, Shay! How precious to have such a memory to treasure, and the card to bring it into focus time and time again, to know sincerely what many go a lifetime without experiencing! Love the ending, its peace, its blessing. Beautiful and moving.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?