Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Paris

 

So here I am in Paris
but it isn't really.
It is only what I imagine Paris to be
or would like it to be
or have hoped it would be.

So here I am, in Paris, with you
but not exactly.
You are not what I imagined you to be
or would like you to be
or had hoped you would be. 

So here I am alone
in a strange place.
I am not how I imagined myself to be
or would like to be
or had hoped I would be. 

I wish I had a loaf of French bread
and a sweet pastry
since even in my imagining, wine is out.
I wish I had a hand to hold
or a book to read
written in both languages.

I wish I had a balcony
overlooking a busy boulevard
full of small cars
and bright bicycles.
I wish there were geraniums in hanging pots
and a flowered gown to wear.

I wish that for a day
I could be not-old again.
There would be an unmade bed,
also a dog,
and perhaps a man, or a woman.
I'd be happy either way.

So here I am in Paris
but not Paris.
Here I am with you,
but not you at all.
Here I am
whoever it is that I am,

leaning out from my balcony
in my flowered gown,
completely mystified like a little girl
giving her dolls names like
Hortense
Matilda
Jeanne Marie
or Shay Caroline

calling them by name and serving tea. 
_________

I used THIS list of prompts again, this time #9. 

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to Paris, but would love to experience it. I hope it would be as wonderful as I imagine. But, you never know, as you've so splendidly written here, if places or people will live up to our imaginings. Of course, people often don't, ourselves included. The "Capgras" tag is enlightening and gives such a cool twist (of lemon from the French Riviera) to my original reading. Brilliant, Shay Caroline.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?