Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, June 30, 2024

Maury Wills

 

When I see the blackbirds and sparrows 
                                          speeding low in the sky
                                          ahead of a storm,
They remind me of a childhood summer
                                         and Maury Wills, the
                                         stolen base king.

I remember my father's barber crowing at the tv,
                                       "What a crackerjack!"
                                       as I waited in a chair, feet dangling.
When I see the red squirrel take over the feeder
                                      despite being smaller,
                                       I think of Maury Wills beating the odds
and the throw to second.

He disrupted the pitcher, catcher, and fielders
                                    like the neighbor cat in the ground ivy
                                    sure to pounce, just a matter of when.
His feet were his fortune, raising the dust sliding in
                                     on legs purple with dreadful bruises
                                      and red with rash, the Dodgers' captain
doing whatever it took.

When I see the grackle strutting with its gotten peanut
                                  I think of Maury Wills'  bright jewelry--
                                  the Hickock Belt, MVP and World Series rings.
The resourceful chipmunk makes me wonder, what is it like
                                to be smaller, quicker, cheeks stuffed
                                 while the circling hawk goes hungry?

Then I realize that I already know these things, even as
                                the years steal on me and I grow slower
                                sitting in my sanctuary, watching the action.
_________________

For Word Garden Word List--Mary Oliver

Process notes: Maury Wills is a lifelong favorite of mine, first for his baseball skills, and later for other things as well. He grew up in the projects in Washington DC and had no idea a black kid could hope to play in the majors until a Senators player named Jerry Priddy showed up at his local diamond to talk to the kids playing ball there. Wills never forgot it. Too small to be a slugger, he learned to switch hit and to use his speed, a forgotten weapon in baseball in an era of burly bashers.
   It was a long road to the big show for him, but when he finally got his chance, he ran with it (pun intended!). He went on to become captain of the Los Angeles Dodgers, break Ty Cobb's single season stolen base record, win an MVP award in 1962 and the Hickok Belt for sportsman of the year across all sports. He even made numerous appearances on television variety shows, playing the banjo--typical of him to choose such an instrument. 
   When his baseball career ended, and everything he had worked so hard to excel at was over, things changed. A girlfriend introduced him to cocaine, and Wills fell down, all the way down, into full-blown addiction. It took time, but once again the tenacity and drive that served him in baseball served him again in recovery and like me, he lived sober for the rest of his days. Maury Wills lived by his own lights, found great success his own way, and beat the devil to finish up on a high note. 
   I have tried here to combine Mary Oliver's eye for the everyday wonder of the natural world with the story of a childhood hero, Maury Wills. 

Music: Tracey Chapman Fast Car



4 comments:

  1. What an amazing story he has. Reading your poem and the backstory made me want to sit up and cheer. I love that childhood image of you sitting in the chair, feet dangling--and how you wove yourself back into the poem at the close. I think it's fantastic the way you blended Mary Oliver's eye with your own. Awesome.

    Plus, I love it when the "little guy" (or girl) wins! I love it when an athlete or participant brings a unique talent to a sport or activity, gets overlooked or underrated, but then goes on to change the game or circumstances. Inspiring stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I love this. His baseball years take me back to childhood, hot summer, the dust rising up as they slid into base.........and I always love a story of Overcoming. He triumphed twice, and likely oftener than that, in quieter ways. Wow. I especially love "The resourceful chipmunk makes me wonder, what is it like to be smaller, quicker, cheeks stuffed while the circling hawk goes hungry?" I am delighted you found Mary Oliver. I love the magical way she sees the world - the shine of what might seem ordinary things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this flows - a progression through life and an appreciation for both the little things in nature and the big achievements in life. I am glad it ends in finding your sanctuary- Jae

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really good - But being English baseball is another world to me ! - Years come a go but they make us wiser. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?