Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, June 3, 2024

Word Garden Word List--Madeleine's Ghost

 

Hello my cacophonous creatives! It's time once again for your Word List poetry prompt, and this week's List is taken from Robert Girardi's amazing debut novel Madeleine's Ghost. It was published back in 1995 but I didn't read it until 2010--I keep a book journal--and it immediately became an all-time favorite 

Robert Giradi

The story is two-fold. On the one hand, it is about a man living in a rent-controlled NYC apartment while doing research for the church (and being paid a pittance) regarding a deceased nun who is up for canonization. At night, things move around and noises are heard. He can't afford to live anywhere else, and so must endure. Moreover, the neighborhood is gritty and depressing. Gulp. On the other hand, the story is about his true love Antoinette, and their ill-fated, stormy, intense love affair in New Orleans, which still haunts him. Antoinette is one of the most unforgettable characters I have ever encountered in a novel. She's beautiful, erratic, bewitching. My goodness, she bewitched me, and I was only reading. 


What we do here is to use at least 3 of the 20 words provided in a new, original poem of our own. Then simply link up, visit others, and then lie in bed awake, wondering if that noise was a spirit or just your cat. This prompt stays active through Sunday. Enjoy!

Your List:

beautiful
breakfast
clumpy
harbor
haunted
Latin
liaisons
loamy
mothballs
movie
neglected
overdose
padlock
pennies
sly
smock
tears
tepid
wax
wildflowers

13 comments:

  1. But is the nun a “switchblade nun?” Hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a list! My conversion to Catholicism in 1960 was pretty much a requirement for marriage. I lasted 'till 1978 and then began my 'lapse.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been reading my mail, Helen. I, too, converted to get married, but it did mean a lot to me for a time. I'm lapsed now, but it still is part of me. I just couldn't stomach the way they failed to handle the pedo priest business.

      Delete
  3. Great list of words and so real in the world in which we live. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made me want to read the book Shay. I will try to be back, I may startle you like a ghost or disappear, either way I will be here in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the word list, Shay, which always stirs me to greater heights of poetic prowess or sheer insanity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book sounds spooky and enchanting. I'm not Catholic but have had many friends who are. Sounds like a most intriguing read.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?