Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Ballet For Dry Grass



When lightning ripped down out of Heaven like an endless diamond,


It split the stones,

And cast us out.


As we fell,

You said, "This is all of your doing, and none of mine."

I said, "Still, you should have left your bags behind."


When lightning ripped down out of Heaven like an endless diamond,


It split the stones,

And cast us out.


As we fell,

You said, "This is all of your doing, and none of mine."

I said, "Not even Boudica Jolie commands the sky."


I suppose there are more foolish things

Than purely ornamental wings,

But if I'm apt to die

Give me ugly ones that fly.


When lightning ripped down out of Heaven like an endless diamond,


It split the stones,

And cast us out.


And as we fell, we were

Two screeching cats

With ready feet,

Two baying bitches

Served up neat.

_____________


The tarot art quilt pictured is by Candis.

11 comments:

  1. Beautifully done...and the last verse made me giggle for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so much going on in this poem I don't know where to start. You have the lightning strophes and you have the thunder banter. It makes the fall very rhythmic and the ending is perfect when they land on their feet. Standing O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way this one sounds, but I'm not sure I understand it. Is it about angels being cast out or the tarot tower falling down or am I trying too hard? I feel like I came in after the main event and am left clueless in the punishing aftermath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the part about ugly wings that can fly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'two baying bitches' .. I love this image ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How DO you come up with these? Amazing as always...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thought provoking, you.
    And I shall savour that image of 'lightning ripped down out of Heaven like an endless diamond'
    Beautiful you, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shay, I sent you an email. I haven't read this yet, as I have a lot of catching up to do, so i will be setting time aside this afternoon for *Shay Time*. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scarlet, my dear friend and fellow poet Kelly Dickson is always saying that I make her snicker in the middle of my dark poems. I just can't help myself, I guess. ;-)

    And don't forget the title refers to dance, Pouty. ;-) Thank you as always for your wonderful replies!

    I've written before about the Tower tarot card, Vicarious. I'm just drawn to the idea of people being blasted out of their comfort zone by a strike of lightning. Plus, it's my card, or so I'm told.

    My work images, Shadow? I'm not sure what that means, but i always love to see that you've visited. :-)

    K, I debated about that verse, but in the end I liked it a lot. I had thrown out a section about seeing which angels could fly, and ended up with that. I'm pleased you liked it!

    Daryl, I try to paint a picture as succinctly as possible, and i just thought that did. Thanks for your many great comments!

    My dog comes up with them, RK. I am simply his human mouthpiece. ;-)

    Thanks so much, Sarah. I had to find a way of describing lightning that hadn't been done to death. ;-)

    oOo, welcome back, T, you were missed lots! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boudica Jolie? She of gorgeous full-lipped super-fame?

    I like this one a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?