Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Duality And Homogeny

See the two pictures above? Take a good look, if you would, and then set that thought aside for a moment. I'll be coming back to them at the end of this post! Meanwhile...

... I've been thinking about duality and homogeny. Well, after all, I'm a Gemini, and not just a Gemini sun sign, but Gemini moon as well. Sometimes a thing--or a person--can seem to be one way and turn out to be another. Or, turn out to be both, OR combine two facets into a single face. With that in mind...

...my new crush is "plus size" model Crystal Renn. Oh, Joan Jett and Eva Larue are in no danger. But Crystal Renn's story is a fascinating one. At the age of 14, she entered the world of high fashion modeling, and was told to lose one third of her body weight. This ultimately threatened her health and even her life, a journey she documents in her book "Hungry."

 Now a stunningly beautiful--and sexy!-- size 12 (U.S.), she is in demand on runways and for photo shoots around the world. I think she's amazing. She has defied convention and transformed herself, and looks incredibly well doing it! Go, Crystal. She's got the look; what about love?....

...today I was watching "Oprah" and she had on Ellen Degeneres and her wife Portia Derossi. Who doesn't like Ellen, right? And Portia is a very neat lady in her own right. But what made the program so rewarding, was just seeing how in love the two of them clearly are, and all the strength and happiness they give each other.

Though each of them is accomplished and remarkable in her own right, together they are more than the sum of their solo selves, not to mention being a huge inspiration to gals like me. Watching them, I cried. I did, I was surprised how much it moved me to see them. It made me feel really good. (It's all right, Bosco, Mommy's crying because she's happy!) But what about those pictures at the top of this post....

...did you take a good look? Did you see that both pictures are of the same person, actress Miriam Shor? They are. And that's my post on duality and homogeny. I hope that you enjoyed it!  

19 comments:

  1. fun post...I did it enjoy it.

    much love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll say it again, Shay. You have great taste.

    Crystal Renn is absolutely gorgeous. The cover of her book is, wow, indescribably delicious.

    Ellen and Portia do make a nice couple :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those two photos on top, like in the movie Bourne Identity "Things are not as they seem". So amazing.

    Go, Go! all couples in Love...

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did catch the photos, but only because you dropped a few hints.

    It's beautiful when people are themselves. Good for Ellen and her wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yessss, FB. I, too, believe in LOVE as in "Love and LET LOVE"...and girl, you never seeeese to amaze me!

    Such pleasant reading, and I am always in a peaceful place when in your blog posts. ;)

    Had a good time speaking tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there's nothing sexier or more intriguing than someone just being completely themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post FB! I do fancy Ellen...

    Cheers!!!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. all i can say is follow your heart. it leads you to happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those two pictures had me fooled for less than a second.

    Crystal Renn is beautiful, btw. Love the cover shot...and yes, Ellen is wonderful! There's something so natural and childlike about her; you just gotta love her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kills me a bit every time someone dumps shit on love. makes little difference who is doing the loving but great strides in simply being able to love.

    I'd shave if I could look as good as the top picture but seeing as how that'll never happen neither will the shaving thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Size 12 is considered a 'plus' size? That is just wrong and says so much about the skewed values in this country.

    Great post BTW. Love does not recognize gender.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find all of the emaciated models exhausting. My nurturing instinct kicks in, and I want to start feeding them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this post and that model is smoking hawt~! I love that she's doing well although I don't consider size 12 plus, but sadly those in the image industry do.

    This was a good post and just truly enjoyable to read.'

    ReplyDelete
  14. What was Miriam Shor's reason for doing this? Was it dressing up for fun or is she gender confused?

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL Cool Joe. She did the man thing for the movie "Hedwig And The Angry Inch." I expect she's all female off camera.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah.
    I spotted the drag king.


    I cried at Ellen & Portia too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did enjoy it and I like Ellen too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sorry I missed it. I love Ellen and I think she is beautiful. How can that be? I dunno, but I think so.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?