Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

The Water Dove

 

I kissed the dove
who made her nest
in the lonely pool at the bottom of my heart.

Little water-dove
sweet creature, feathered mother,
when I breathe, you flutter, shift, and sigh.

I kissed the foxes
whose meal was lately
in the henhouse where all rain is born.

Little hidden ones
with your silent black feet,
when I cry, you peer out from moonlit memory.

I kissed the gamesman
in the old pink cottage
because he was there, and silent, like God.

I was the little nanny
in the graveyard singing
to the doves, and foxes, and gamesman

peering back at me from the lonely pool 
of moonlit memory.




________

for Word Garden Word List--Life After Life. 

Music: Rodrigo Adagio 




11 comments:

  1. Gah. This is Just. So. Beautiful. So tender.........the opening lines reach straight into the reader's heart, and then the sweetness just keeps on going. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sensitive and touching writing and an artistic use of the words. I especially like the verse about kissing the gamesman in the old pink cottage because he was there,silent like God. It made my heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's got to be a word for poetry that is beyond the words on the page. Pure gold, Shay, spun in your delicate yet trenchant way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really captivating words and such a depth of intimacy. Love how you have woven this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exquisite, Shay. Your use of symbol and metaphor here is the key that turns the heart-lock of this poem, and your imagery is so spare, yet potent, that each line is weighted with gold. Yearning and loss, the warmth of the memory of what was loved and given, always in the pool we have cried, where we sit and see so many things shimmering in our reflections. Or so I read. Even if I am off base, this is still a work of pure beauty.I especially love the doves and foxes, and the ambiguous shadow of the gamesman who breeds/hunts them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. narrative poetry of the best kind. Tender, expressive, many layered and haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tender tender, tender.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I was the little nanny
    in the graveyard singing
    to the doves, and foxes, and gamesman

    peering back at me from the lonely pool
    of moonlit memory."

    Just gorgeous writing, Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is so beautiful. It brought much needed joy and light into my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mooning over your poem! Straight out of the gate with that deep soul metaphor! That first stanza captured me, and then the whole poem kept me there, entranced in that moonlit memory. The poem has this humble quality, yet is so rich and exquisite--saying what needs to be said just right.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?