Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bereft

be·reft
Pronunciation:
Function:
adjective
Date:
1565
1 a: deprived or robbed of the possession or use of something —usually used with of b: lacking something needed, wanted, or expected —used with of2: bereaved--a bereft mother.

I dreamt
That I carried a child within me--
I felt
As a natural pool must feel,
Curving my-self around the life that I held.

I knew how the tree feels
In its innermost ring--
And I knew that the sky and the Animating Presence
Had surely spared me
A single, precious Star.

There is Happiness,
And then there is Joy--
Joy filled me
And asked for its name.

I held my belly in grateful hands
And held out my Love, saying take it, it's Yours--
But I could not hold the dream.

There is Pain,
And then there is something beyond it;
I learnt this in the hollow morning
When my single Star
Moved beyond my skin and beyond my reach
Forevermore.
_______

19 comments:

  1. You sure as hell are not bereft of brilliant writing...

    You Rock Fireblossom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right now at a loss for more to say then this touches me way down deep

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am running out of "wow" words to use without sounding cliche :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad...heaert breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was touching but also haunting,

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing...so eloquent a tragedy and sadness that we don't even have a name for you gave feelings too, thank you!

    Love
    G

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is both touching and haunting!!! Good writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad ending. Actually, it's sad all the way around but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous, the tortured angles evoked glide, that's no mean feat, well done Shay x

    ReplyDelete
  10. RK & Scarlet both said it so well, I juse say "see above".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto. See Riot Kitty above. This is beyond the realm even for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so lovely it hurts. As I read "curving my-self around the life that I held," I could vividly remember how I always kept my hand resting on my pregnant belly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! I love the different values of green. You've got talent, Chica! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tears in my eyes over this, Shay.

    My God, so heart-breaking. Which lines within this would I uphold to the light? All of them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel this. I really do - you capture it beautifully. I dream about carrying my baby one day. I hope we both find that happiness soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The yearning is so palpable, I can feel the pain.

    You have a way with words.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You will never be bereft as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is me sobbing. I know you know that I know. My heart goes out to your heart. More love and feeling and sadness that I can say. Huge hugs to you and profound understanding, my dear Tiger-friend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?