Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

In The Day Of The Gray Cat


In the day of the gray cat,

I find my tongue--

Can speak again,


But I am as soft as a secret kept.


Controlling the weather

Is only a cheap parlor trick for a gray cat--

And controlling dreams

Is not even desirable.


Listen--

Cats have already forgotten

All that priests or poems can teach;


In the day of the gray cat,

I will curl up in a crescent moon,

Unreachable and insouciant...


That's when you will want me again, in the clear and certain instant that I no longer care.

______

10 comments:

  1. Did I ever tell you that when I lived in NYC, there was a lesbian cruise bar called Meow Mix? So God help me, every time I see it in the store (or in these poems), that's what I think of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That's when you will want me again, in the clear and certain instant that I no longer care."

    I am both saddened and uplifted by this last line.
    The reality of it is almost unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lemme be a cat in my next life...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "That's when you will want me again, in the clear and certain instant that I no longer care."

    So much freedom and pain in that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another of the masterpieces that you just seem to cast off like snakeskin, You ARE something, Shay, and one of my favourite folks, Sistah



    Aloha, Friend!
    Happy Holidays


    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad but beautifully written.
    I used to have a cat that looked like that :-)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your cat poem and the photo too. Your kitty looks like my kitty (see post Dec. 26). It was fun to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right!

    Have a happy day,
    your fren,
    Sharkbutt

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?