Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Alternatives To Seafaring

I've got a bed like a half shell soft,
and a comb for a hundred strokes;
a parrot who speaks like a tony duke
with a holder for his smokes.

There's a vine on the railing and rose in a jar
that floats in my mermaid's pool;
drop your duffel and come to mother--
be a sailor but not a fool.
_______

The earliest poem I can remember being truly fascinated by was Longfellow's "The Wreck of the Hesperus", which my father read to me because he thought I might like it. I did, and would periodically beg him to read it again. He did, bless him, he did, and so I offer this poem with its sound advice to stay the hell off of sailing ships!

For "What sparked your poetic heart?" at Real Toads 
 

20 comments:

  1. i like the tie-in to your memory with your dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore everything about this!




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fun to read and a fun read. Love the sassiness

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the swaying rhythm and the story of your father's poem...excellent, Fireblossom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sailing ships will get you every time. The tub, on the other hand... all warm welcomes and caresses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice, you can get into lots of hot water without going to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Light-hearted as mostly everything you write and I adore. I love your rhythm. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super charming-- I can just see that rose. Thanks. K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And great for the date. All kinds. And sorry for repeated comments. Am very tired. K.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful that your father read poetry to you..........He would be so proud of your poetry, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gift, a father who read poetry to you! Love your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your ending~ How wonderful to have your father read to you!
    I am jealous ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. An amazing picture you painted once again, I like the sound of that place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This made me smile, Shay. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! Good one. I believe Longfellow would approve of that illustration, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, how delightful! I'd like to have a mermaid's pool like that.:)

    My poem was also about my Dad reading me Longfellow - but in my case Hiawatha.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?