Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Legs

She has the face of a Botticelli angel,
and the smile of a homecoming queen.

She has hair you could base a religion on,
if that religion were nature and beauty-based
and not like those currently trending.

She is loved by both men and women.
Dogs jump in her lap and she lets them.

Okay, here is the sad part:
No, wait, see if you can guess.

Her taste in clothes is legendary.
Long skirts, flowing tops,
half hippie and half Van Gogh.

If you're lucky, like bars and 7's lucky,
she'll be waiting for you in the four poster,
covered to the waist in foamy white linen.

Men want her.
Women want to be her.
The camera adores her.

So why does she sit in the white wicker on the side porch,
wearing a wide-brimmed hat
and a gorgeous floral skirt that comes to her bare feet,

envious of the neighbor's heedless ten-year-old
stretching herself out from the tire swing
without a thought? 
_____

for Karin's "Last Legs" challenge at Real Toads. I have no idea if Emmylou Harris has nice legs or not, but I have noticed that she doesn't show them.



 

16 comments:

  1. Ah, such worship! - Soon you'll be speaking in tongues. :) La La Mosk

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Her taste in clothes IN legendary" SP?

    Do your openings come to you, and you then write your poem around that inspiration? Your openings ARE inspired. You juxtapose the classic and the trending in such a fresh way. Please submit one poem to the New Yorker every month til they surrender and publish one, opening your personal flood gates of fame. The I'll REALLY rarely hear from you. And Skitts? All OK? Did I miss something?



    <3


    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  3. I clicked with anticipation to see what Fireblossom had to say about legs and you did not disappoint.......beautiful capture........I can see her on the porch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, she is all that and more--especially when she opens her mouth and her soul pours out--I have seen her photographed in some pretty tight jeans, and I don't think she has too much to worry about in the gams department.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "She has hair you could base a religion on"

    That is just so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dare I trust my eyes? Is Shay intimating that there is anything less than perfect about Emmylou Harris?

    Un.
    Be.
    Liev.
    Able.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also adore her. I think her legs are okay but I appreciate the wonder here. Thanks, Shay! K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha!

    on another note, a photog friend of mine recently had the opportunity to shoot her and a bunch of musicians in NY. she is still ravishing !

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a unique take on the prompt! A delightful read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now you've got me wondering. Oh, and I especially love your stanza:

    She has hair you could base a religion on,
    if that religion were nature and beauty-based
    and not like those currently trending.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I want to join that religion~
    I love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well said. The details made me feel like I was standing next to her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Could we all love ourselves as others do, missing the flaws instead of focussing on them? Would be kinda nice.... Happy weekend to you Shay!

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?