Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Constance

“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
Terry Pratchett 


Here is how I began:
a core, curled and sleeping
inside a temporary flesh of fruit.

The seed is the thing, after all,
and the rest just a vehicle
to be eaten or wasted.

Nonetheless, some say you and I must not rest too close together on the branch.
There will always be some busybody with a hammer and nails,
rattling on about what's natural.

Well, forget them. We have both come too far to listen to such stuff.
Here are my arms, the same arms as they have always been.
Here is my skin, so much like yours.

I have been told I was one thing, only to know I was another.
I love you, and that  I did not need to be told,
because home never changes; only the map, and the traveler herself.
_______

 "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one" Galatians 3:28

Al Pacino
“I don’t understand the hatred and fear of gays and bisexuals and lesbians…
it’s a concept I honestly cannot grasp. To me, it’s not who you love…
a man, a woman, what have you…
it’s the fact that you love. That is all that truly matters.”
Al Pacino 
for Real Toads "Legacies of Nimoy and Pratchett." 
 

16 comments:

  1. I say, let's all thrive. There are enough branches for everyone to find their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One--lovely, a bit bittersweet poem.

    Two, I've never heard Lauper's version of that song. Thanks.

    Three, I agree with Pacino. What is so threatening about gays/lesbians/bisexuals? Are people afraid that if they are heterosexual, the gays/lesbians/bisexuals will convert them? Force them to change? Bully them until they become gay/lesbian/bisexual?

    Puh-lease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely awe-inspiring...!! :D
    Love your fiery passion in this poem!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, Love, LOVE this entire posting! Your poetry goes way beyond the quote to provide other reasons like human nature and inner knowledge and the power of being truly present inner and outer. All faith is ultimately experiential and not word of mouth or dogma. Your quote means much more to me than Pratchett's: "[H]ome never changes; only the map, and the traveler herself." I say yes Yes YES! Godspeed your love: That you feel it, that you have the power to articulate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your thoughts on bursting out of the sleeply womb is interesting

    this is the first time i've heard this song sung by Cindy Lauper, i heard it sung by other people; enjoyed her singing it

    have a creative month

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love is, contrary to the song, not always all you need, but without it you are a dry husk on a dead branch, unlike the beautiful and rich fruits you show us here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Nonetheless, some say you and I must not rest too close together on the branch.
    There will always be some busybody with a hammer and nails,
    rattling on about what's natural." Part of me wishes the judgmental would find their own damn tree, but then I would like them sitting on branches where love blossoms so strong they couldn't deny its power to transform. Yes, I can hope. Beautiful Shay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and perfect: Home never changes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen. How can anyone argue with that? I also love your image of furit and seed, and I lke that little quote from Galatians you included after.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful manifesto of selfhood. As you know, I am not one for labels or categories of people. I believe that every has a right to truth, happiness and respect and how they achieve their own peace is nobody's business.

    ReplyDelete
  11. because home never changes; only the map, and the traveler herself.

    That should be etched in stone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful poem! I hope it gets wide exposure.

    And a very well chosen illustration to go with it — first for the couple hand-in-hand, and also for walking the railway tracks, which is so forbidden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love is

    (i hadn't heard Cyndi Lauper's version of unchained melody ~ gorgeous!)

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?