Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

For K.



There was some

event

downtown,

and

in front of me

at the light,

was

a golf cart,

of all things.


There were four people in it.

Did I say four?

There was

one

person

in it.


We were waiting

to turn

left,

just as I have been waiting

to know,

oh,

do you ache for me as I ache for you?

and do you

ever feel

that you cannot breathe

for the thought

of me?


There was one

person

in the golf cart

in the back

on the left

and her back

and shoulders

were bare

except for

two

lucky straps;

I wished

they were

my fingers--

I wished

to kiss

her shoulders

endlessly

by candle light.

I noticed

that her ear

was sweet and perfect.

Her dark hair

was tied back

and it made me

wild

for wanting

to touch it.


She was not

a small girl.

She was

so beautiful

and so very much

like you,


and then

the driver turned

against the red signal

and was gone

through a narrow gap

in the traffic,


and I

went on waiting,

lonelier even

than before.

___________

12 comments:

  1. you've conjured that sense of loneliness very well.

    i see the library thing you mentioned. thanks. :) AND the book about dewey the library cat, which has been on my "to read" list for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good at writing about how I'm feeling, it's spooky.

    LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is one of the best your written. i can feel the longing, i can see the straps on her shoulders, i can feel the emptiness as she disappears around the corner....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh... that's me exhaling .. held my breath too long

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the way you write. So expressive. Not the poignant comment I had imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it.

    I can't get enough of your love poems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that not the way it goes??? with lost love??? So wonderful, always just beautiful and full of thought

    ReplyDelete
  8. A golf cart - who would have thought of it except you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You wrote The Bridges Of Madison County, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. (deep breathe) Very expressive, my dear Shay!

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?