Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Sad Washing Machine



The sad washing machine is like a priest hearing confession--

The unclean is made clean.

"So why

(wonders the washing machine)

Am I hidden away in the basement, or shoved against the wall of the mud room like some sort of suspect?"

Pretty and blameless white washing machine,

It is not you they are ashamed of--

It is their own dirty laundry.


The drunken palm tree leans uncertainly over the boulevard--

"I am slender,

(slurs the palm tree)

And my hair is never mussed,

But I am far too tall and my skin is rough and dry.

Won't someone buy me a mai tai?"

Inclined inebriated palm tree,

We each have our faults.

Still it only takes a single charming monkey scrambling up your body to sample your perfect coconuts

To make life seem promising again.


Mahatma Gandhi and Jesus sit next to each other on a bus stop bench--

The King of Kings' robe is fresh and clean.

The little bespectacled Mahatma feels revived by the cooling shade,

And the fragrance of rum and fruit in the air.

"Let's go get a sandwich," suggests Gandhi in Hindi.

"All right," agrees J. "I'll take care of the wine."

"There is beauty in everything," observes the small one, as the bus arrives.

"Indeed!" agrees the bearded one.

It will be a fine afternoon.

______________

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I would LOVE to be there for that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really can make anything poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed it will! With the wit of your writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beauty is here in your words

    ReplyDelete
  5. gandhi and jesus, getting a sandwich with some wine... what an imagination you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the record, I absolutely love my washing machine. I also have a passionate affair with my dish washer.

    They are very under rated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to be on that bus stop bench...and in a way, I feel like I just was. ;)

    Btw, I love tall palms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my favorites ever, Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always a joy to read...thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?