Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Capricorn Muse



Scarlet has given me five words to work into a poem: muse, bliss, charm, metamorphosis and the Spanish word secreto.


I searched for my muse in the folds of a summer morning

And found her,

Wrapped in crows' feathers,

Kissing a stone.


I gave my voice to her hair, and it whispered in her ear,

"Come with me.

Let me take you home."


"I am home," she insisted,

Though nothing grew there but night.


I tried every charm and word,

Hoping to be heard by Our Lady of December,

Despite the wind,

Despite

Everything the stars had told me.


I melted like a candle and covered her with my desire--

I watched her face,

Praying for metamorphosis and a bliss forever withheld

But which never stops calling,

Despite distance,

Despite

Every dream of doorways, leading no place.


Summer lasted five minutes--

We twined and bloomed in secret.

To me she said, "My Love, you have opened me like a flock of dark pages;

Read me to myself,

Burn me so that the light I give reveals us naked, needing, and we'll call that our poetry.

Let there be nothing else,

And then you must leave me."


I found my muse in the folds of a summer morning,

Wrapped in crows' feathers,

And when I woke I found I had been kissing a stone.


She left me a message written on a bloody rose, which said,


"Los secretos son el humo,


El amor es cenizas,"


And when I left I was once again alone.

_______________

translation: "secrets are smoke, love is ash"

16 comments:

  1. Five words? I think i could probably manage one. So long as I could spell it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shay, I am dangerously close to being speechless. That you were able to create this using prompts is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful creation this is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where there is smoke there is fire, and where there is fire, there are ashes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My how I love this one and with those Spanish lines.
    You are magic with words dear. I love it... so much in common I see... and your endings are food for thought too. I just love it
    Thanks for this Sunday jewel poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am speechless. Your words are magic, your Spanish, divino. You make this Cuban woman very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I was going to do this meme next, but compared to you, I'm really gonna suck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I did MINE before reading yours. Sheesh. I miss MY crow feathers...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goat girls! What can i say, they are your achiles heal... :p Fabulous mesmerising poem. I know i will come back to read this again... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't believe you made poetry out of prompts. I mean, the words you use in poem is something so personal, right? How could you??? I mean...

    And I liked this line the best - "I melted like a candle and covered her with my desire--"

    That's very intense in expression.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, YOU are never alone :) fondness of the memory lingers, and as the seasons change so do I; mystical write

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one is beautiful. Not a strain on the eyes at all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. I wandered over here today from Joaquin's place, and I'm so glad that I did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A dark flight to the heart's core, making every whistlestop of pain and joy on the way, if you'll pardon the mixed metaphor. The whole thing is radiantly wise, but the conversation between lover and beloved, writer and muse, is what stands out. And the last lines of the first stanza--pure Fireblossom genius. I kiss my fingers to you my dear--this is a fine piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely marvelous. "Read me to myself"...now there is a perfect line, Shay.
    I'm glad you made that best of list, else I might have missed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i said i would, and i have, great poem - never forgotten... and how true it is x

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?