Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

September



It turned out to be a day just like this one--

The sky that impossible September blue,

And the summer growing sleepy, as if June, July and August had been a long luxurious meal.


That morning,

You lay your clothes carefully on the wet grass of the bank,

Like a blanket over a sleeping child.


As you stepped into water and fog,

What was it you hoped to find as the chill found your ankles, your knees, your shoulders?


Why didn't I wake up?

Why didn't you come find me, and crawl in beside me, still wearing your chains and charms from the night before?


How could I not have been there when the water fanned your hair?

I could not help and will never understand.

Each year I watch the water darken these poems as I sail them across this accommodating element

To one whose heart has always been

And will always be

Twin to my own.

__________

14 comments:

  1. so full of hopelessness and regret, of another -within, a profound sadness here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find making a lits and floating it across the water to be calming and soothing. I did it just tonight, as a matter of fact. You should be here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bittersweet. I wish it had a happier ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you weave your thoughts into beautiful tapestries

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.

    Congratulations on your POTD mention from David McMahon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the Post of the Day Award!

    ReplyDelete
  7. whew...emotional piece...congrats on the POTD mention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just unfreakingly good.

    Did Dylan Thomas know how good he was?

    Did Van Gogh?

    Did any picked-over orphan blessed with the excruciating lightness of words?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, full of nostalgia... we can never escape from or lose our twin x

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?