Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

In the time before Joan Jett....

In the time before I knew there was Joan Jett, I had a different musical crush. I still remember being in a record store (yes, a record store, where each album took up about five square yards of space, had the singer or band's entire biography on the back, a poster inside, and all of it shrouded in mystery by an artsy cardboard sleeve.)

Anyway, there I was in the record store, morose little thing that I was, poking around, looking for new Leonard Cohen or Laura Nyro or Tim Buckley, when I saw a new singer with just the cutest face and hair (turns out she was Miss Dust Flats Junction or something, at one time) and had to investigate.

Well, as you all know, I cannot be tempted by anything, and so I left that album right there in the record store. But after I had had time to think about what I had done, I went back to the record store and bought "Elite Hotel", and fell completely in love with Emmylou Harris.

I love her singing, I love her song selection, I love her looks...okay, especially that. I have always really liked long straight dark hair, long and straight being the style when I was a shrimp, and so it even to this day makes me feel young again, so that I can nearly summon the gumption to throw off my shawl and wheel my chair a few feet down the hallway of the home before falling asleep again drooling on my cardigan.

But wait! There's more! My girl went gray somewhere along the line. And....she looks fantabulous that way. The nerve of some gals. Plus, she appears to age only in reverse dog years. That is, one year for every seven the rest of us do. I mean, look at me, I look like I just climbed up out of the crypt most days, while Emmylou looks hotttttttttt. Life is completely unfair.

In recent years, I had managed to forget about Emmylou somehow. Too busy listening to Wall of Voodoo, I suppose. But now I have remembered her. Damned nice of me, I think. And now I am smitten all over again. She's even got the tragic love affair with the late Gram Parsons. The woman has it all. I hate her. But I don't. Sighhhhhhhhhhhh....

15 comments:

  1. Before Joan Jett? B.J.J.?

    I saw Joan Jet & The Blackhearts open up for The Police. They rocked!

    Joan Jett, one of the original GRRLs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmylou has always been one of my favorite singers - I've seen her in concert a few times. Most memorably during that Down from the Mountain tour. Her song "One of These Days" is my favorite song of hers. And I ride around with "The Very Best of Emmylou Harris: Heartaches and Highways" in my car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emmylou will be glad to have you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah the days of records...Isn't that an EmmyLou album cover at the top sidebar? If not, it should be...(Those boots I tell ya, I wanted them so bad, but lets face it, some legs=not made for knee-high leather.)I've got most of her stuff, even that album she cut with Mark Knopfler, and the one with the Neil Young song, Wrecking Ball,though Deeper Well was my fave on that one.
    And your right, she's obviously aging backward like Merlin...her voice still can curl your hair and put you in the heart of the Blue Ridge. Thanks for bringing her to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "you're" not your--yeesh, now I'm doin it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so hilarious! You always make me laugh out loud : "summon the gumption to throw off my shawl and wheel my chair a few feet down the hallway of the home....." Isnt that MY line?:) I love this. I remember those albums - they had so much more mystique than cd's in their little plastic boxes. Sigh. Emmy Lou.......oh that long hair.......I love long hair! I only got mine cut off this year. But I think I'll grow it back - way long - and be silver haired along with Emmy Lou.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daryl--you are right of course, her hair (and yours!) is gloriously silver.

    Lynn--I love that song, too.

    Hedgewitch--yes, that's the cover to "Elite Hotel". And I, too, have "Wrecking Ball." I really like it. Daniel Lanois produced it, as well as Willie Nelson's similar "Teatro".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen Emmylou live (she is still beautiful).

    But, I saw Joan Jett. She rocks !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Y E A H

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





    Aloha from Waikiki :)

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  10. How dare she age so gracefully? Love her hair like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope my fans are still lusting after me when I'm that age. Er ... actually, I hope they start lusting after me sometime soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love her music..."Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town"...pretty lady to boot....Amen on the choice Shay...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember my good ole grandpa drooling (literally) over her every time she came on the tv. He still might; I just don't live with him anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emmylou is simply brilliant. And, I really hope that I go grey that way.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?