Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Love In The Open Spaces

She made the revival preacher forget his bibles--

Then sold him to the devil for a dollar.

She loved a gypsy exactly one rainy year--

Then was sold herself

For a smoke and a half-warm bottle of beer.

You cannot find love in Commerce,

Nor swap back your soul.

You cannot stop the wind.
___________

This poem has nothing to do with either of them, but nonetheless, it is dedicated to my two heartland blogger friends, Mama Zen and Hedgewitch, as well as to the man from the mitten, G Man.

11 comments:

  1. I hope that you got change from the devil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the song says, a friend of the devil is a friend of mine...I envy you the way you've said everything necessary in so few words; about passing one's lovers along at the Big Garage Sale, about the falseness of love as a commodity -- good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You cannotfind love in commerce nor swap back your soul. You cannot stop the wind." This was a great story, perfectly told. Intriguing, and a little adventure of the spirit for an old hermit like me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That closing phrase was inspired!

    Terrific write, Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, she sounds more valuable than smokes and a warm beer.

    Loved it, Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made me see it - a great 55, Shay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess it all depends if it's a PBR or a Heineken eh?
    And what kind of smoke...
    Shay...I absolutely LOVED this 55.
    To make a preacher forget his bibles?
    She must have been Mui Caliente'!
    Thanks for playing My Friend, and have a Kick Ass Week-End...G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Find that my feet are tappin' and I'm singin' along to this gypsy song. This really should be set to music, Shay. I swear, I can hear the guitar pickin', see the gypsies swingin' on the devil's dance floor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. running with the devil...yeah i was singing as i wrote this...just be glad you only got the typing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweetly broken. I love the image that accompanies these thoughts. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?